The requirements for a Theater minor are six theater courses. Students intending to pursue a Theater minor must submit the online minor declaration form on DegreeWorks; in order to be approved, they must also meet with the Chair to discuss their planned course of study.
Minors must make thier course selections as enumerated within the following categories:
1. One course from the Theater History sequence:
- THEA 15: Theater and Society I: Classical and Medieval Performance
- THEA 16: Theater and Society II: Early Modern Performance
- THEA 17: Theater and Society III: 19th and 20th Century Performance
2. The following course in theater production:
THEA 40: Technical Production
3. Four additional courses:
The other four courses of the minor shall include no more than one THEA 80: Independent Study and no more than one course outside of the Department that would normally be accepted for the major.
4. Production Requirement:
Every Theater minor is expected to complete two** production credits to demonstrate an active and sustained participation in theater production. Sustained participation shall consist of completing two production credits for Department of Theater productions or productions sponsored by the Department of Theater. Production credits should be completed under faculty supervision. Production credits must reflect a variety of theater activity and each credit must represent a meaningful practical experience.
- Acting may fulfill only one of the production credits for the Theater minor.
- Production credits may be fulfilled by serving as a stage manager or assistant stage manager for a mainstage production. Alternatively, the student may complete THEA 41: Stage Management to fulfill a stage management production credit. With prior approval of the Director of Theater, stage management on a student production may fulfill this kind of production credit.
- Production credits may be fulfilled by serving on a production crew.
- Production credits may be fulfilled with any category of theater production, with the exception of work associated with THEA 40: Technical Production. This includes:
- certain courses with a production component (such as THEA 44 or 65)
- acting in productions
- participation in a production crew
- stage management
- playwriting, when the script is produced under the sponsorship of the Department
**NOTE: Beginning with the class of 2021, a total of THREE production credits will be required for the completion of a Minor in Theater. This 3rd production credit must be fulfilled by taking THEA 40: Technical Production.