Independent Study Proposal Guidelines
A written proposal and the approval of the faculty member and the Chair are required.
Proposals for independent studies must be submitted no later than the end of the first week of classes each term. Students should begin consultations with the faculty member who will advise the Independent Study during the term prior to the proposed project. Proposals will be developed in consultation with your advisor, who must sign the proposal before it can be submitted to the department chair for approval. Requests to extend the deadline must come from your advisor to the department chair.
A successful proposal will resemble a course syllabus, and will include the following:
- Title of independent study, student's name, and advisor's name
- Description of the independent study and learning objectives
- Justification: why are you undertaking this independent study? How does it build upon and expand your current knowledge in theater studies and/or practice?
- Required texts (bibliography in MLA or Chicago style)
- A weekly schedule of assignments and activities.
- Your advisor's signature
- Space provided for the department chair's signature
The anticipated length is 2-3 pages. Sample proposals are available through the Academic Coordinator. Students are also encouraged to consult the department chair with questions regarding this process.